I know the thought of meat from a can makes a lot of people queasy, but this meal is considered comfort food for me. As a kid, this was one of the meals my mom made for our family when she was tired from a long day at work as a seamstress at The North Face. And now as an adult this is one of the meals I make when I don't know what else to cook for me and the hubs and we don't want to eat "kid food" like frozen dino chicken nuggets or Easy Mac.
I posted this pic on Instagram and braced myself for possible negative comments, because, let's face it, this is NOT high class dining! It IS however, super easy and I received a lot of awesome "likes" and comments when this went live on my IG feed. Even from THE Amy Tangerine.
1. Saute a couple cloves of garlic and diced onion in a hot pan with oil. (about half an onion.)
2. When the onion is translucent, sautee one potato, diced, in the same pan until cooked.
3. When cooked through, transfer to a bowl, add a couple tablespoons of oil to the pan and saute your corned beef. Continue to break apart the meat with the back of a wooden spoon while cooking.
4. After a few minutes, the corned beef will be warmed through and you can add the onions and potatoes you just fried up.
5. Serve over rice and enjoy!
This is the corned beef we use. The trick is to get the one with the KEY to open up the can. For some reason, my Costco doesn't sell it anymore - they only sell the one with the pull-tab opening. Those cans have a different consistency of meat. And it doesn't taste the same. (we tried to like it, but we couldn't!).
This meal screams comfort food to me. Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money so my parents, especially my mom, made do with what we had. When it was nearing payday and our family bank account was getting thin, our food consisted of pork and beans from a can, a steak (ONE) to feed a family of 4, cup o'noodles, etc. My kids don't realize how lucky they have it!
This dish always humbles me. It reminds me of simpler times. And it makes me appreciate my life as I know it today.
Thanks for visiting.